Medical and Dentistry Degrees in Riga
expected in July 2020 (winter semester 2020/2021);
expected in December 2020 (summer semester 2021)
expected in August 2020 (winter semester 2020/2021);
expected in February 2021 (summer semester 2021)
medicine: 6,000 EUR/semester (6 years)
dentistry: 7,000 EUR/semester (5 years); after 2nd year: 7,500 EUR/semester
Information last updated: November 14th, 2019
Start studying medicine at the University of Riga (RSU) as soon as possible. All you need is a strong application and a convincing letter of motivation – MediStart will help you prepare these. Start your degree as early as next semester in the Latvian capital. After six years for medicine or five in dentistry your licence will be fully recognised in other EU nations. Furthermore, you will have the possibility to apply for a transfer to a university in your home country.
Benefit from small tuition groups, in dentistry of maximum ten students, and enjoy getting to know your teachers personally. Modern facilities and teaching methods which make a medical degree possible, strive to meet international standards and the theory is combined with practical lessons early on.
Currently around 550 Germans study at the university, meaning almost half of the international students on campus come from Germany. The degree in Riga is fully taught in English and your teachers assist you in communicating with local patients. Technical language in English is taught at the beginning of the degree in a separate course.
There are two universities in Riga but we recommend the RSU. Its course’s similarity in content to the requirements of the German licencing board and its leading rank in the Baltics make it the better choice. The RSU is also hugely popular with international students and in exchange these students are highly valued by the university. Out of 7,000 enrolled students a total of 1,000 come from Germany, Sweden, Norway and Finland – western and northern European nations are well represented.
The University of Riga is over 150 years old and is a pillar of Baltic healthcare systems. Consequently it is fully equipped with modern facilities. The latest technology and innovative teaching methods guarantee the highest standards for the degree. The course has been taught in English for almost 25 years so a frictionless process is also ensured. The former President of Latvia also completed his medical degrees here. Before taking office he spent many years as the director of an orthopaedic and trauma surgery hospital in Riga.
Riga is the capital of Latvia und thus part of the European Union and NATO. In 2014 the Euro was adopted as the Latvian currency. The Hanseatic city prides itself on a long enterprising tradition and has a similar feel to it as cities like Lübeck and Hamburg. Bremen, another Hanseatic city, is twinned with Riga. The city’s 800-year history can be seen in numerous spots, which is why it was named European Capital of Culture in 2014. The particularly well-preserved old town is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site where tradition and modern culture blend together. There are clubs, operas, historical sites, parks and many sporting clubs.
It is easy to get by in Riga using only English because most Latvians speak it. The city has a large number of rooms, student accommodations and even appartments. Riga also has its own international airport with countless direct connections to Germany and other countries.
In order for your application to be accepted you will need a high school diploma, a letter of motivation and two letters of recommendation and a medical attestation from a doctor. However, the letter of motivation is not necessarily written in the form that we would expect in Germany or other countries. Instead it is more about addressing certain expected criteria and meeting them. Benefit from MediStart’s experience here. Furthermore, good English skills are required and your level will need to be verified through a TOEFL or IELTS test. MediStart follows you on every step of the application process – including during the complex process of writing a letter of motivation. Your MediStart Study Consultant will advise you with regards to your
language test in case you do not have one yet.
Your acceptance to a degree at the University of Riga is neither dependant on your high school grade nor your performance at any admission test. The required letter of motivation and strong grades in scientific subjects at school will improve your chances of being accepted. We make use of our experience and special knowledge to support you in preparing your application.
Request our free information material now: Click here!
- successful: partly a 100 % success rate in the past, e. g. in Nicosia, Wroclaw, Rzeszow and Vilnius
- professional: support during the application phase, at the beginning of your studies as well as before your return home
- considering more than grades: admission tests and preparation courses take into account more than just your high school grades
- provides options in Germany: medical studies can also be started at the UMCH in Hamburg
- easy: organised application of all necessary documents
- fair remuneration: only pay our success fee in case of an admission
- right to withdraw free of charge: in case of acceptance by another university through a public application system (e. g. Hochschulstart, studielink, UCAS etc.) during the application process
- transparent: cancellation for any other reason possible at any time (against a reduced cancellation fee)
- Collegesemester: in Vienna (Austria) and Hamburg (Germany)
- comprehensive: on site planning and organisation services (support in finding accommodation, international network of students etc.)
- on site: support and supervision of your studies (particularly in securing the recognition of the medical licence)
- high quality: supported by German lawyers specialised in German and European Education Law
- early admission: admissions for 2020 already possible