Medical University of Varna
expected mid-September 2021 (winter semester 2021/22); early application recommended
expected end of September 2021
medicine: 4,000 EUR/semester (6 years)
dentistry: 4,000 EUR/semester (6 years)
Information last updated: September 16th, 2020
In Varna, you can start your studies in medicine or dentistry without focussing only on your final high school grades. You should however have achieved very good grades in biology and chemistry, as these grades play a decisive role in the admission process. The admission test is also challenging.
The structure of both courses falls in line with the common European curriculum. Even though the university and the teaching hospital cannot be compared to the large and modern universities in Poland, the Baltics or Cyprus, the university invests heavily. Besides some new buildings, the university also owns two sailing boats. Classes are challenging. International students from over 50 countries – this includes Africa and Asia – come here to study medicine and dentistry.
The university in Varna is attempting to become a modern university: All seminar rooms and lecture halls are to be equipped with 3-D technology and the building of the faculty of dentistry is only a few years old. The university was first established as a medical school and added a dentistry department in 2006. The library houses more than 160,000 volumes and the museum, which belongs to the university’s anatomy department, contains a large collection of exhibits that offer an interesting and comprehensive learning environment for students. The faculty of medicine has 24 departments and is the largest at the university. About 24 % of the approx. 5,000 students are students from abroad. The degree entails numerous courses of “Bulgarian as a foreign language” in order to ensure that students achieve a B2 proficiency in the local language by the end of their third year.
Students report that Bulgaria is a particularly beautiful country that is also particularly poor. This brings both advantages and disadvantages. With its 335,000 inhabitants, Varna is Bulgaria’s third largest city. It is located on the coast of the Black Sea and its famous Gold Beach makes it a popular destination for mass tourism. This makes Varna easily accessible. Many students volunteer in social projects and organise numerous gatherings and charity events such as the “Teddy Clinic”, an international children’s project.
Whoever wants to live and study in Varna will need a lot of patience: For foreigners the bureaucracy feels unusual and can be downright needless. However, the people are friendly and cheerful. Even on site, MediStart helps you get settled and find accommodation. It also puts you in touch with students from higher years and remains your contact throughout your degree.
Good grades in biology and chemistry are important in order to be accepted at the university as well as successfully passing a challenging admission test. Your knowledge of English, biology and chemistry will be tested. In our experience, a strong level in these subjects is required. MediStart will provide you with study material and a preparation course also online possible. Nevertheless, in our experience, a strong understanding of biology and chemistry is indispensable. Since the university is admitting students in various steps, we recommend to apply early, e. g. until May 2021 if you wish to start studying in autumn of 2021.
Request our free information material now: Click here!
- successful: partly a 100 % success rate in the past, e. g. in Hamburg, Nicosia, Wroclaw, Rzeszow, and Vilnius
- professional: support during the application phase, at the beginning of your studies and during your studies
- considering more than grades: admission tests and pre-med courses take into account more than just your high school grades
- provides options in Germany: medical studies can also be started at the UMCH in Hamburg
- easy: organised application of all necessary documents
- fair remuneration: only pay for the services you booked
- Collegesemester: in Hamburg (Germany)
- comprehensive: on site planning and organisation services (support in finding accommodation, international network of students etc.)
- on site: support and supervision of your studies
- high quality: supported by German lawyers specialised in German and European Education Law
- early admission: admissions for some universities for 2021 already possible