Medical Degrees in Vilnius
expected in June 2020 (winter semester 2020/21);
applications (especially for dentistry) possible through a succession procedure
expected in September 2020
medicine: 5,500 EUR/semester (6 years);
dentistry: 6,480 EUR/semester (5 years)
Information last updated: November 14th, 2019
The University of Vilnius allows holders of a high school diploma to study medicine and dentistry irrespective of your final average grade. A medical licence from Lithuania is fully recognised everywhere in the EU. The medical degree taught in English at the University of Vilnius is very popular among Germans. In 2018 Vilnius was even the favourite destination in the Baltics – most German medical students going through MediStart went to Vilnius.
International tutors teach small groups of eight to ten students, which leads to individual support and encouragement. Everybody communicates in English. As students of medicine you will be introduced to patients early – this way you will start collecting valuable practical experience. An interpreter will assist you in communicating with your patients without problem. The degree in medicine lasts six years, while a degree in dentistry lasts five.
The University of Vilnius of more than 400 years old ranks among the oldest universities in northern Europe. More than 20,000 students – including 1400 international students – have chosen to study in Vilnius. Around 2,890 researchers are employed here. The university has expanded through numerous new buildings over the century and its library, twelve faculties, seven institutes, four research centres and thirteen courtyards blend several architectural styles together at the heart of Vilnius’s old city centre. The medical faculty is made up of seven departments, two institutes and eleven clinics, making it one of the largest and most important faculties of the entire university. Nowadays around 760 researchers are employed while around 3,200 students and 100 PhD candidates are enrolled here. The faculty works closely together with international organisations such as the World Health Organisation (WHO) and UNESCO.
The capital of Lithuania is an international city and still displays influences from its history and various cultures – this led to it being named European Capital of Culture in 2009. Numerous music, theatre, dance and folkloristic festivals contributed to the nomination. Vilnius also has a lot to offer in terms of culinary experiences. This EU and NATO member state’s capital boasts an old city centre. As a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it remains worth visiting for students and tourists alike.
Lithuania has been using the Euro as its currency since 2015. The low costs of living are attractive to western students, particularly because the standards of living are similar to those in western cities. Vilnius has much to offer in terms of leisure activities such as sport tournaments, excursions and day trips. The range of activities is extensive: students can join an orchestra, go hiking through the Baltic mountain ranges and travel to the Baltic Sea. Each faculty organises an annual “Events Week” featuring conferences and competitions. An orientation week is organised for international students during the first week of term. Traditionally term starts with a parade in September.
You can and should already apply to Vilnius now, even if you will only obtain your high school diploma in the summer of 2020. The grades you achieve will not be the sole focus. Admission requirements include successfully passing the MediTest-EU. The MediTest-EU consists of a written test with questions on biology, chemistry and general knowledge (60 %) and an interview on your motivation and skills (40 %). To verify your level of English all you will need are average to good English grades at school or a TOEFL certificate.
MediStart is the German market leader when it comes to securing university places in Vilnius. We take care of everything so that nothing can get in the way of you starting your medical degree at the University of Vilnius. Our partners on site help you with your search for accommodation, with the authorities and with adapting to your new environment.
MediStart has the authorisation to carry out the admission test on behalf of the University of Vilnius. Usually, the MediTest-EU takes place on a monthly basis in various cities and countries. The test consists of scientific multiple-choice questions and tests for suitability. The interview takes place via Skype and can easily be done online from the comforts of your home. The MediStart consultants will provide you with valuable instructions.
Request our free information material now: Click here!
- successful: partly a 100 % success rate in the past, e. g. in Nicosia, Wroclaw, Rzeszow and Vilnius
- professional: support during the application phase, at the beginning of your studies as well as before your return home
- considering more than grades: admission tests and preparation courses take into account more than just your high school grades
- provides options in Germany: medical studies can also be started at the UMCH in Hamburg
- easy: organised application of all necessary documents
- fair remuneration: only pay our success fee in case of an admission
- right to withdraw free of charge: in case of acceptance by another university through a public application system (e. g. Hochschulstart, studielink, UCAS etc.) during the application process
- transparent: cancellation for any other reason possible at any time (against a reduced cancellation fee)
- Collegesemester: in Vienna (Austria) and Hamburg (Germany)
- comprehensive: on site planning and organisation services (support in finding accommodation, international network of students etc.)
- on site: support and supervision of your studies (particularly in securing the recognition of the medical licence)
- high quality: supported by German lawyers specialised in German and European Education Law
- early admission: admissions for 2020 already possible